Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Craig76
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Resolution to the resolution debate.
Sep 29, 2012

I tried to explain why 36MP is only 27.8% more than 22MP to which I was surprised to see a great deal of argument. So let me try to explain what I am saying in a new thread without all the other mumbo jumbo.

Lets take width
100 pixels x 200% = 200 pixels

Now height
100 pixels x 200% = 200 pixels

100 x 100 = 10,000
200 x 200 = 40,000

So a 200% resample is 4 times as large of a file size. Remember it is a 2 dimensional object. So to double resolution going up and across you need 4x as many pixels.

Some people where saying that going from 1x1 to 2x2 is actually 4x as large. In a sense it is, but in actual detail (resampling) it is only 2x as large. I think this is where some of the confusion arose.

Now if you dial into photoshop the resolution values of the 5D III and resample it to D800 resolution you will see that it is only a 28% resample not 61%.

Perhaps a clearer way of thinking about this is to think. How much more DETAIL does 36mp have over 22mp. Perhaps that is where some of the confusion is from.

Here is a visual aid to help illustrate what I was saying in that thread.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow