Jumping ships - DoF

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
CarstenKostrzewa
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Jumping ships - DoF
In reply to Riptide, Sep 29, 2012

The summary of Tom in his post above describes the basic dependency between focal length, aperture and sensor size very well. The smaller the sensor size, the more difficult it will be to find a lens, that will be able to create a reasonable strong background blur. I personally always found the calculation of DoF a bit unintuitive, because it does not tell you how much the background is blurred. Therefore I spend some thoughts on this subject and published an article here on dpreview.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6091822765/background-blur-and-its-relationship-to-sensor-size

Utilizing this, you can easily calculate a sensors / lens combination for a given situation like a portrait of a person and then look up an example picture on page 2, which should give you an idea about the strength of the background blur (of course the quality of the bokeh is a totally different matter).

Please have a look and tell me what you think. If you don't like the math let me and I do an example.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow