Is Ken Rockwell's review credible?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358
Like?
Re: Is Ken Rockwell's review credible?
In reply to Jethro777, Sep 29, 2012

Jethro777 (or rather: Ken Rockwell) wrote:

1.) On-screen junk. I was never able to get the exposure data numbers off of my image so I could compose. Instead of being below the image as on a real SLR, the EVF of this Sony always has some data written on top of your image as you're trying to compose.

If it is true, it is a valid point.
I don't know if it is true for the a55.

For the a77 it iis not true: I can clear the viewfinder image of any overlays except focus points which all cameras have anyway.

2.) Sony is several years behind Nikon and Canon when it comes to basic settings. There is no way to set any green-magenta color trim on any setting except the manual-white-card setting. Worse, one cannot set warm/cool shift on the Auto White Balance setting, which is how I get great images out of my Nikons, and even my Canon point-and-shoots, but something that this Sony can't do. Because of this design defect, all the pictures I took with the A55 were too blue for my taste. Oops!

Well, for a jpeg shooter, this may be a valid point. I don't know since I shoot raw.

3.) I never could find how to shift the exposure program. Even Canon's first EOS 620 of 1987 had a shiftable program. Canon is a camera built for photographers, while Sony is better at making electronic baubles.

I don't know if it is true for the a55.

For the a77 it iis not true: I can make program shift in P just by turning the front or rear wheel.

4.) The Sony A55 puts all sorts of junk files and folders all over the SD card. Not only does this make it a pain to have to hunt and peck for the only folder we need that has our images, half of my computers didn't recognize the card in my various card readers! I had to stick the SD card in my MacBook Pro, and use the MacBook Pro to copy the files to a USB stick, and then copy from the USB stick to my Power Mac. In the A55's defense, the A55 connects to all my computers just fine via USB and pops up as an external drive, which is something the Nikon D7000 can't do. Still, I'd rather the cards were legible!

But I very much doubt that it is true for the a55.
Any modern camera will put the photos in the same directory tree:
DCIM\xxxYYYYY\
Where xxx is a serial number, and YYYYY is the camera manufacturer.

5.) The images just don't look as good as I get from Canon and Nikon. The "look" of a digital camera, just like the look of a woman or the look of a film, is a very subtle and personal thing. In the case of Canon and Nikon, they've worked decades to fine-tune their image processing algorithms, transfer functions and color matrices to get images that simply look better, to me, than I get from this Sony. Sony makes the sensors for Nikon, but sensors are only a small part of a much larger equation in camera design.

Seems like a reiteration of point 2.

But he seems to ignore the lack of dynamic range on Canons where skies easily burn out and shadows cannot be lifted without noise. He also seems to ignore the better colour precision of Sony cameras as reported by DxO and many portrait photographers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow