Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeterSwe
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
D800E my impression
Sep 29, 2012

I thought I should write a little note about my impression after 2 month of use of the D800E. Im little ambivalent about it. Some have had left focus problems. I have not. But the calibration is quite poor. I have to set default focus to -8. And have tuned my lenses. -12 to -6. But with that the auto focus is good and precise. But the firmware is its weakest point. I can't understand how they can do it so bad. I quickly find the Shooting menu bank. And my first thought then was. Nice. But then I started to think about how to use it.

Im in to HDR. So I decided to have A for normal and B for HDR. But when trying to do that I realized that HDR settings is not part of shooting parameters. WTF? You need to switch out of RAW settings when doing HDR. Nothing strange about that. It works with the shooting menu. So I use TIFF. But the TIFF mode is annoying. In RAW mode I store the RAW image on the CF card and a jpg copy on SDcard slot with eyefi. But when selection TIFF you automatically then got TIFF on both CF and SD. The mode TIFF on CF and jpg on SD does not exist. WTF?

Since Im in to HDR i also use BKT mode. But that function has not been improved since the 80's, In HDR mode the camera is smart enough not move the mirror between the 2 exposures. But for BKT it is still moving the mirror. And the stupid camera dont have the basic automation. When I select BKT my goal is to the one compete seq according to the BKT settings. The camera should take all 3-5-7 exposure on one shot. Now I get out of seq and the seq is slow.

And since I got the D800E in europe I got the NX2. I use the mac version.

And how stupid can a software be? The most basic function is to transfer picture to the computer. The D800/E have two slots. And you need to select the slot for both cards one-by-one every time I transfer. Crap!

With a better firmware this camera should been a instant classic. It still can be a good camera. But Nikon is not known to have any huge improvement of their firmware. They fix return-rate bugs nothing more. I hope im wrong on at least some of the points above and looking forward for a lesson of how to do it!

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow