Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,367
Like?
Re: D600 RAW is not much better than A900
In reply to thubleau7, Sep 29, 2012

thubleau7 wrote:

Foveon consists of 3 layers stacked RGB

"The operation of the Foveon X3 sensor is quite different from that of the Bayer filter image sensor more commonly used in digital cameras. In the Bayer sensor, each photosite in the array consists of a single light sensor (either CMOS or CCD) that, as a result of filtration, is exposed to only one of the three primary colors, red, green, or blue. Constructing a full color image from a Bayer sensor requires demosaicing, an interpolative process in which the output pixel associated with each photosite is assigned an RGB value based in part on the level of red, green, and blue reported by those photosites adjacent to it. The Foveon X3 sensor creates its RGB color output for each photosite by combining the outputs of each of the stacked photodiodes at each of its photosites. This operational difference results in several significant consequences."

That did not tell me anything I did not know. And most important:

It did not tell me if a Foveon sensor needs to throw away photons to discern between colors.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow