Just Bought EOS-M dual lens kit.

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
Lk400
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Re: Just Bought EOS-M dual lens kit.
In reply to Lk400, Sep 29, 2012

I think ill put my new toy to bed for the night. (Very non technical) summary of my first impression:

Pros:

• Great fun camera with near SLR quality images in a tiny package. Both the body and the lenses feel well made and solid, however the camera is very light and portable. The camera looks great, and comes with a mini canon EOS strap (red stripes in Japan model at least).

• The screen is beautiful and large and I had no trouble composing or checking settings in daylight.

• Image quality is very pleasing (i have only shot in JPG so far), however I really want to shoot in good light with a known lens before passing final judgement.

• The 22mm lens is a useful and fun focal length, and at f2, aperture is large enough to isolate (close) subjects.

• The zoom covers the standard 18-55 range, and is very useful for a walk around. Images appear to be sharp (although I did not really use this lens in daylight so I will withhold my judgement for now). The IS is effective. The zoom is quite fast to focus and after reading the reviews, I was surprised with this.

• While of course higher end SLR manual controls are more convenient, for what this camera is designed for, I do not miss the lack of manual controls at all, and find the touch screen interface to be well thought out and intuitive to use.

• I used it in drizzling rain and it still works, so build quality must be quite good!

Cons:

• I have always believed that more than 12 on a APS-C sensor is too many pixels, so I may be more sensitive to aggressive NR or noise than others. With that in mind, I am not at all displeased with the NR or noise, however I do notice a little of both. This is not at all a noisy sensor, but it is noiser than my other APS-C camera, which is a 40D.

• While the 22mm lens is much more fun than the zoom, I find it slower focussing than the zoom.

• I have not spent much time comparing sharpness at a pixel level, however neither lens blows me away with its sharpness.

• Not really a con, but you want to make sure you have a fast SD card for HD video (mine drops out after about 20 seconds).

Thanks for reading my many, many posts!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow