50mm f/1.4 AF-S vs AF-D

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chad Gladstone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,608Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm f/1.4 AF-S vs AF-D
In reply to DRode, Sep 29, 2012

I had a love/hate relationship with the nikon af 50's over the years and have had them all. I find the 50 1.4g has the most pleasing bokeh and find it to be the sharpest wide open of all the modern af 50's to date. It is not nearly as prone to CA that plagued earlier offerings, either. Moreover, it is the most precisely accurate in autofocusing and consequently lacks some of the focus acquisition speed of the other offerings. The only lens that preforms better is the sigma 50 1.4 but that lens is far from diminutive in size and not a consideration for me because it is simply too large to provide me much utility. Having the 24-70g and the 70-200 as well, a 50 is only a consideration if it is considerably faster (two stops) and is extremely compact without having CA or poor out of focus rendering. The 50 1.4g, at least for me fits this criteria, especially given its attractive price point. That being said, I rarely use this lens on FX and prefer the 28g and the 85g FL, but for 50mm, it is the only 50 I have ever found that is a pleasure to shoot with.

Chad Gladstone

Chad Gladstone's gear list:Chad Gladstone's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow