Which end of the telephoto zoom range is used most often?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Seamus Warren
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Which end of the telephoto zoom range is used most often?
In reply to happysnapper62, Sep 29, 2012

Thanks heaps. You guys are generous with your time and your tips are much appreciated.

I borrowed an f2.8 70-200 a while back and found myself wanting more reach when shooting a local indoor Roller Derby event with the lens attached to a cropped sensor camera (giving me more like 300mm at the long end).

So I suppose I've answered my own question on the zoom range - 300+ for me, I reckon.

At an earlier Derby event I used a slower variable aperture f4-5.6 70-300mm. While useful in situations with good light and time to compose, it was a pig to use in a fast paced indoor sporting/event environment where I found myself using the long end of the zoom range tracking a subject around the circuit (girls on roller-skates - excellent).

The ISO settings or shutter speed had to be constantly adjusted all night as I was unable to settle into a fixed "exposure triangle" all night. I may have given up some manual control after a while and settled for a limited auto ISO option.

A fixed aperture lens is a must I reckon - at least in a situation where we want manual control over the exposure settings.

Getting off the track a bit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow