Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jason
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
G5 is not so good for off-camera flash work
Sep 29, 2012

I guess it shouldn't have come as a surprise, because the specs say that the G5 syncs at 160. The problem is, that when you slap a flash (or a radio trigger) on it, the shutter speed will not go past 160. So you can't even experiment! You have no hope of getting a bit of fill in a backlit scene if you're overexposed at 160 to begin with.

I thought I would trick the little bugger by turning on the electronic shutter, but then the flash doesn't trigger at all.

Oh yeah, and there's no such thing as continuous drive when there's something in the shoe. It doesn't matter whether you're shooting RAW or JPEG, the G5 will only fire one shot at a time with the hotshoe occupied. Playing around with this also gave me the opportunity to experience the RAW data traffic jam other posters have been complaining about.

This is a major bummer, and may be a deal breaker for me and the G5. I absolutely love the camera otherwise.

Has anyone else had a different experience?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow