My D800E shipped yesterday, will I return it?

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bunza
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
My D800E shipped yesterday, will I return it?
Sep 29, 2012

I ordered my D800E from Adorama July 12 and they finally shipped it yesterday Sep 27.
Delivery expected Wed Oct 3.
For the record the wait for my D800E was one day shy of 12 weeks.

Then I have to decide if I'm going to keep it.
I know it will be better than my D7000.
... but how much better, and will it be worth the extra cost . . . to me?

I realize I can make larger prints before seeing pixels but I don't do that, not yet anyway.

I take mostly macro shots of diamonds.

I have a Nikon PB-4 Tilt and Shift Bellows and a micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 old enough to have an aperture ring, with no AF or VR.

If I need even more enlargement I'll put an old 24mm f2.8 Nikkor on a Nikon PB-4 reversal ring at the end of the bellows and I'm approaching microscope magnification.

It all sits atop a heavy aluminum Gitzo GT-3330 with a Manfrotto 410 head with those wonderful knobs for coarse and fine positioning of three axes, a must at high mag.
The Bellows has a built in focusing rail.
It's a dream setup for high magnification macro work.

The D800E has 2.24x more pixels than the D7000.

That means if I'm at my gear's highest magnification but I need to get closer, I can crop in quite a bit in post and still be using 15 to 20 MP.

Of course now that I'll be using an FX instead of my old DX sensor I'm giving up some of that enlargement for the same lens at the same extension.

Oh, I also bought 2/3 of Nikon's "Holy Trinity" the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8.

I got a bag full of c1980 Nikkors but Nikon's website says only 16 of their 75 lenses are sharp enough to not limit the resolution of the D800.
Only one of my old lenses is on the list.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting the D800 or D800E but returning it because it just wasn't worth the extra cost to them?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AlsoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow