Pentax gets it, Why doesnt Ricoh?

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,167
Like?
Re: I couldn't care less about roadmaps ...
In reply to sroute, Sep 28, 2012

To reconstruct the thread of our discourse:

sroute:

... At present there doesn't seem to be a distinct Ricoh pulse emanating from Ricoh-Pentax Camera Company and that worries me for selfish reasons as they seem to be the best positioned company on the planet to produce a full frame camera (module or unit or fully integrated camera) specifically designed for M lenses. ...

godfrey:

The company best situated to do that is Leica. And they've already done it with the M9, MM and new M. It is a non-trivial endeavor.

sroute:

Sure - their customers demanded it. The M8 was never going to do. Had Leica stayed with an APS sized sensor, someone would have brought to market a full frame solution eventually. Would it have been a rangefinder camera? Maybe not. Would it have sold anyway? Yes.

What we should do is define what "it" is though. Are we talking only rangefinder cameras, or cameras tuned for M lenses that may offer alternative composition and focussing methods. ...

godfrey:
It is a non-trivial endeavor.

sroute wrote:
I'm not convinced the sensor is ground breaking. Links?

godfrey:

I'm not your research slave. Go to the Photokina 2012 reports and find the links to the sensor technology yourself.

If your opinion is that the new sensor isn't ground breaking, cheers to you ... you're just in disagreement with every electrical engineer I know working on imaging sensors.

sroute:
.... [snippage]

Godfrey wrote:
My informed opinion is contrary to yours.

sroute:

You have steadfastly asserted over some period of time in this and other forums that Leica is unlikely to be challenged, and herein you've raised the new sensor as a key differentiator that would present a difficult competitive challenge to others. I'm more than willing to accept that as information rather than opinion, if only hard data were available to underscore your assertion.

I've never said anything of the sort. Why do I know this to be a fact? Because I just don't care at all about whether someone challenges Leica, or not. It's completely stupid bullpucky to care about that.

All I said was that Leica is in the best position, both from the point of view of understanding what's needed AND by dint of having a market to service, to produce that fastasy camera you are so desirous of. And that it is not easy.

AND that they've already done it. So if you want one, just pony up instead of collecting lenses.

Until such time as that is available I'll have to assume that each of our opinions is about as informed as the other's.

Note that I didn't say my opinion was any more informed than yours. However, circumstantial evidence seems to indicate that no one else is stepping up to the plate, as yet, so perhaps the notion that there's a huge demand or a lot of profit to be had in creating a camera of this kind is a little fantastical.

godfrey:

On your 'cut to the chase' points, I didn't say the sensor was "unmatchable", I said it was bleeding edge technology and not easy to produce. [...] I just don't care at all either about that or about whether Ricoh provides the world with a stupid road map of possible future products.

sroute
The "road map" isn't an issue I am harping on about.

Myself I'm not looking for a road map so much as an indication of where Ricoh intends to take the GXR. ...

I honestly don't care. I like the GXR just as it is, and prefer to make photographs rather then fuss myself into a lather over what Ricoh intends to do next. When next I need or want a camera, I'll just evaluate what's out there and buy what I like.

With all the palaver of Photokina and the Sony RX1 and the new Leica M, I am moved to sit back and consider: what am I really enjoying in my photography of late? And when I do that, and am objective about it with myself, I often times think of selling 99% of the equipment I have and just doing photography with the rest ... and to the dickens with all this fatuous debate.

What came out of that 1955 Balda folder last weekend was really quite delightful to me.

Sit back, relax, enjoy a cup of coffee or tea with friends. Enjoy your ernest speculations.

I think I'll go put film in a camera. Perhaps the Polaroid SX-70 ...
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow