Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nikko aus London
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131Gear list
Like?
Lakes of the High Sierras
Sep 28, 2012

So I popped across to San Francisco for a long w/end and travelled up to a place called Graeagle, about an hour north from Truckee. There are a couple of cool peaks (Sierra Butte and Mt Elwell) which I hiked up on consecutive days but the outstanding feature of this landscape are the lakes. Here's a few taken with the OM-D, Oly 75mm and (mostly) the Oly 12mm.

Here is a shot from the top of Mt Elwell with Sierra Butte in the background. In the centre, Long Lake, Silver Lake & Round Lake, to the right, Mud Lake, and on the far left, Big Bear Lake (I think, could be Cub Lake).

Picture of Long Lake from the descent down from Mt Elwell:

Long Lake taken into the sun from the dam end (used a CPL)

Sardine Lake with Sierra Butte in the background

My little cousin near the top of Sierra Butte with the stairway to the observation station in the background

The way up to the observation station

Upper & lower Sardine Lake taken from the top of Sierra Butte with Mt Elwell in the background:

Awesome place. Things I learned: (a) used a CPL on nearly all the 12mm shots; (b) the 12 mm flares quite easily so must buy a hood; (c) the 12mm has noticeable CA which is easily corrected in Aperture to yield more crisp images; (d) I probably shouldn't have driven there straight off the plane from London though. Gotta watch for the idiots on I-80

Thanks for looking, C&C most welcome.

Nikko

Nikko aus London's gear list:Nikko aus London's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow