Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 RAW is not much better than A900
In reply to Allan Olesen, Sep 28, 2012

Allan Olesen wrote:

Michel J wrote:

Reason why I suggested a dedicated sensor for low ISO here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1014&message=41972223

I am surprised that nobody in that thread explained to you that a large part of the noise in an image actually comes from the incoming light itself, not from the sensors or electronics. Nothing you do to improve the sensor can remove that part of the noise.

The reason is that at the small quantities of light which hit a sensor, the light cannot anymore be viewed as a homogenous, constant stream of light. It is a stream of single photons, arriving randomly. This randomness creates noise. At ISO 800,000, this noise will be gigantic because only a few photons will hit each sensor pixel.

Thanks. Excellent explanation to understand what's happen with photons in a very low light situations...
In the other hand, do nocturnal animals, see random noise at night? I guess: no.

So, what I suggest, is not only a sensor, but an whole system, fully dedicated to low light conditions, with:

• Backlit sensor to loose a minimum of photons;

• innovative design of optics that would multiplying the ambient light optically (such as a converging system what can align multiple circles of images through a prism)

• no more infrared filter to capture more (surnumerary) photons;

• an in-camera algorithm/processing that would restore infrared images, and interpret their colours to render them such as human eyes perceive it normally;

But I'm not sure if all that is realistic ahah

Kind Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow