no response from canon regarding rx100

Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
FauxMho
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?
Re: howardroark
In reply to David Chao, Sep 28, 2012

We can not compare the RX100, S100, G15, and G1X's image quality solely on the basis of f/#.

While it is true that the power density (w/cm^2) and photon density (photons/cm^2) at the imaging sensor do depend solely on the inverse square of the f/#, you MUST take into account pixel area in evaluating the signal-to-noise and IQ. These are significantly different in these four cameras: 3.5 um^2 for the S100 and G15, 5.8 um^2 for the RX100, and 17.3 um^2 for the G1X. At the same focal plane intensity, the shot-noises scale as 2.2 (S100, G15), 1.7 (RX100), 1.0 (G1X).

I've posted this in another thread, but rolling everything up (incl sensor size, zoom focal lengths, aperture limits, base iso and assuming same scene luminosity at all points of the figure, and giving the lens designers of all the cams credit for design high quality lenses across their respective zoom ranges), I get the comparison below. I read from it that, on FSAIQ and acuity terms, the RX100 soundly trumps the S100, is on-par to above-par with the G15 (detailed testing of lens quality is necessary to make a final assessment), and while closer to the G1X than the S100 is to the RX100, it is well beaten by the G1X's larger sensor and entrance pupil. Experience and testing have shown the G1X to have a consistently excellent lens, so depending on whether the RX100 does as well or is notably impaired by production yield and alignment issues the gap between them may widen, especially at the wide end.

An RX100 (with a spec lens) is a very interesting design point, as is the new G15 with smaller sensor but much faster lens. I'll be keenly watching the forums for evidence of how they perform in both testing and real-world use. I suspect the G15 will be a better all-around performer, but the RX100 will occasionally steal the show with some truly impressive wide-angle, bright-scene shots.

One final thought: with Canon working internally on the G1X and G15, and perhaps having intel on Sony's RX100, I think it fair to suspect that Canon's deliberate response to to these upcoming high-IQ compact cameras was to not spend considerable effort on the S100 successor, the S110. I see them trying to choose their battles carefully and not wage the camera war on all fronts.

FauxMho's gear list:FauxMho's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow