ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553
Like?
Some thoughts about OVF and EVF
Sep 28, 2012

Hi,

OVF here with still some doubts about EVF which I've seen in both A77 and A99. But here's my point for discussion:

I still see some advantages of the OVF when viewing a very contrasty scene. But I was thinking that this, while probably positive for framing and actually seeing what will be photographed, may be a considerable downside for judging how the scene will be captured by the sensor from the POV of DR. In other words, what we see through the OVF corresponds to the DR what the human eye is able to discern - much more than the sensor. So the scene captured by the sensor with its blown highlights and blacks with no structures at all will be quite different from what the eye saw through the OVF. The EVF on the other hand will provide most probably a much closer representation of the "sensor-view" with its limitations considering DR - what may be very useful for composing the image from the POV of light / contrasts / colours. What brings me to the conclusion that the brighter / clearer view of the OVF makes sense for "looking at the subject" (like a binocular) while the EVF makes sense to preview the performance of the image capturing device "digital camera".

So for practical photography some things are getting quite clear: when "looking at the subject" is mandatory -like maintaining an performing athlete inside the frame- then the OVF has its strength. OTOH for more artistic photography (and similar areas) where more precise prediction/preview of the actual "look" is the main interest, the EVF has its strength. No doubt there exists an overlap - and perhaps (hopefully) the gap will be closed as EVF technology will improve.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow