Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,902
Like?
Wedding photography under duress - [Many images]
Sep 28, 2012

Somehow I found myself strong-armed into shooting a wedding recently for a family member. Since my services were pro bono, I did offer a 100% money back guarantee, along with the caveat that I am not (and never want to be) a wedding photographer. That was met with "Well, you claim to be a photographer and have a lot of camera gear so what's the problem with shooting a wedding?" Then my dear wife jumped into the fray with "Just shut up and shoot", "You'd better not shoot RAW - we don't want to wait for you to process the images - it takes you years" and other very helpful bits of guidance.

So I show up at the venue with my M9 and a couple of lenses. The light is predominantly fluorescent and awful. A few test shots look really bad in the light because it's a mixture of fluorescent and incandescent. Thinking that increasing the incandescents would be helpful I mess with the dimmers. The Maid of Honor comes running up to the switchboard and insists that I'm "ruining the ambience" with the increased light and that's not acceptable. Muttering under my breath I realize that the only way out was to process everything as B&W. Also cursed myself for not bringing my Nikons.

Anyways, I gained a new appreciation for what it takes to be a wedding photographer. Definitely not in my set of skills Also wondering how to formulate a sure-fire strategy to get out of such gigs in the future.

Here are a few images from that long evening. All with the M9 and assorted lenses:

And my wife is right - it takes me ages to process from RAW...

Comments and critique welcome, as always. I do already know that I'm not a wedding photographer and that the bride and groom should have hired a professional. Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
-raaj
--
'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
http://www.seekinglight.net

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow