D600 vs a99 .... why?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
op1318
Regular MemberPosts: 198Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs a99 .... why?
In reply to Draek, Sep 28, 2012

I agree that the sensor itself does not make a camera.

But when you are interested in buying a FF camera, you exactly know why and you may not be interested in an APS-C camera at all...

And I would not call the A77 a bargain.

If you mostly use telephoto lenses in good light conditions, this might be a good choice. If you mostly use wide angle lenses in low light conditions, you may find it quite unusable. Always depending on what kind of photography you are interested in.

Draek wrote:

op1318 wrote:

That's for sure.

Precisely, as the "challenger", i used to think that Sony should have a more aggressive pricing strategy. I remember the "early days" (2006) when they released the A100 which, at that time, was considered a very attractive camera for a small amount of money.

But nowadays, paradoxically, one may consider that Nikon has a more aggressive strategy than Sony on the FF segment.

This may not encourage photographers (sometimes a bit conservative) to switch brands to the advantage of Sony...

Well, that is my opinion.

I'd agree but, interestingly enough, I'd say that the cause is precisely Sony's overly-aggressive pricing strategy. Namely, the fact that they offer so much for so little in the A77, that if they had cut anything else the A99 would've been a pointless "upgrade" for most photographers; a sensor alone does not make a camera after all.

Nikon, on the other hand, has much less to worry about; can you imagine anyone skipping on the D600 to get a D3200? thought so.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/Draek

op1318's gear list:op1318's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow