N7 still holds its own in DPR studio comparison!

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?
N7 still holds its own in DPR studio comparison!
Sep 28, 2012

Lately I've been tempted to try the Nikon D600 just to satisfy my curiosity about whether FF would make for a marked improvement. I think the DPR comparison tool may have saved me the trouble.

In many cases, I honestly think the NEX-7 RAW sample still looks best.

The D800E obviously has a potential advantage with more pixels but in many of these comparisons it seems just ever so slightly soft.

It becomes clear that focus plays a HUGE role. Here, I think the results are especially skewed.

And of course if one looks elsewhere one will find a spot where it's the N7's turn to be OOF.

But overall, it seems to me like the N7 is really not getting pushed around at all by the FF DSLRs.

This was my impression some months ago when I chose the N7 over Nikon or Canon FF. I'm not sure why I thought the lower-resolution D600 would change anything. Maybe if its test scene had by chance had more key areas in critical focus.

But that's a big reason I went with mirrorless - for me, MF accuracy trumps AF speed. And sensor size, apparently...

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow