S100/110 vs G12/G15

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
FauxMho
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: S100/110 vs G12/G15
In reply to clearzoom, Sep 28, 2012

I'll speak to IQ and optics. Significant differences in IQ performance at tele. The achievable image quality on the S series is limited by the maximum input pupil of the small lens. The G15 has 3.3x greater area at tele end - 1.7 stops. That's more light getting to the same size sensor which you can put towards shorter shutter, lower ISO & noise, or lower scene luminosity.

The smaller lens on the S series also puts greater requirements on quality optics with more stringent alignment tolerances. Both Canon and Sony have shown fabrication yield and QC issues on their small lens cameras.

I was a big fan of the S series years ago, but given that their utility for me rapidly drops with zoom, my personal choice is the use my iPhone and iPad as my "always with me" camera and go for the G series for quality (especially the G1X).

FauxMho's gear list:FauxMho's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G12 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow