Started Sep 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
RubberDials
Contributing MemberPosts: 521
Like?
Re: DSLR vs. SLT
In reply to rjjr, Sep 28, 2012

rjjr wrote:

RubberDials wrote:

This is pure nonsense. None of these things is present in the A77 display. Stop spreading FUD. The EVF in the A77 resembles an OVF. There is no line structure and no video artifacting. Smearing - what on earth would that be?

Manual focussing is an important part of photography - especially pro photography and there is no assisted way of doing this with an OVF beyond using the green focus confirmation light, which will activate over a wide focus range. Magnified view and peaking make very very precise manual focussing simple. You can also accurately preview depth of field which you can't do with the very thick ground screens on OVF cameras.

Thanks for that fanboi response.

I use manual focus with my OVF with no issues and my SLRs and DSLRs have have a nifty DOF preview button that I use regularly. I'm not a big fan of autofocus.

You've robbed yourself of credibility by insulting me. And since you claim to own SLRs and DSLRs but no SLTs I wonder why you think you are in a position to make the comments you have. I own SLRs, DSLRs and an SLT with the latest iteration of Sony's EVF so I am able to make actual comparisons between these displays.

You may be able to focus to a high standard with the ground glass of your OVF but the split level focussing screen was developed precisely because this is difficult, particularly at large apertures and with wideangle lenses.

In any case an EVF allows you to do both. You are obviously unaware of the inaccuracy of DOF preview on modern DSLRs, due to the greater opacity of the ground screen but you can read about it here: http://www.dphotoexpert.com/2007/09/21/live-view-versus-the-cheating-dslr-viewfinder/

This is something you need to know so I recommend you read the whole article. One of the many benefits of an EVF is completely accurate depth of field checking. This is not possible with any other kind of viewfinder.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow