D600 RAW is not much better than A900

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,826
Like?
Re: D600 RAW is way better
In reply to thubleau7, Sep 27, 2012

thubleau7 wrote:

The JPEG samples clearly show that the D600 is equal to the D800 beats the 5DMK2 lags behind the 5DMK3 and as for the A77 at 6400 ISO the A77 is a mess and it is the same at 6400 in RAW the A900 has way too much colour noise.
Blind freddy could see that the D600 is much more cleaner.

AS for A77 this comparison really show how bad the noise is from that camera it it seems to be the major concern of owners.

I think you are being completely ridiculous here. Deliberately so is my guess.

Only someone blind to the actual results and comments seen published in this forum on a daily basis from this camera would post the above. No it's not a major concern to owners as most of them don't routinely shoot at ISO 6400. Most people who own any aps-c camera don't either. They are all very noisy at ISO 6400. This isn't news.

The A77 is competitive with its aps-c peers. It is pointless comparing any aps-c camera to FF at high ISO but even FF ones are not immune to noise at this ISO either. The D600 is blurring detail in jpegs at ISO 6400 due to noise reduction which I am sure blind Freddy spotted.

That said I think what is interesting you will probably have to use a Nikon D600 at above ISO 800 to see a practical advantage in resolution due to its lower noise performance over an A65/77. The A65/77 are, as DPR pointed out in its review, delivering 24mp of resolution up to that ISO. If you rarely go beyond that you would be wasting your money on a FF camera unless you wanted other FF characteristics.

You will see this phenomena occurring more often as sensor technology improves. The little Sony RX100 draws comparison with aps-c in the same way.

Still, I am sure there will be some people who will never shoot a real photo at ISO 6400 on their D600 as long as they own the camera (but will shoot plenty of test shots to show it off!) but will still buy one because it is better than a different camera at that ISO!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow