Pentax can still have a play in FF market if they want.

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
Pentax can still have a play in FF market if they want.
Sep 27, 2012

Yesterday I had a Nikon D600 in my hands for an hour or so. Yes it was hard to put it down. This is a very capable camera. I made some observations about it, however, that might leave some room for Pentax to compete here.

First is size; Pentax can compete on size and weight. D600 feels like a big heavy camera compared to a K5, for instance.

Second Price; Pentax would have to be competitive on price. This is where Sony A99 blew it in my opinion. And Canon 6D will come in about the same price. So seller beware.

Third High ISO performance; I took several test shots inside at ISO 2500 and the D600 performed stunningly. DXO mark has a score of 2960 on high ISO noise performance for this camera and I saw nothing to cause me to doubt its number one status. (They haven't tested 6D yet) But Pentax has proved they can compete here also.

Fourth is build & WR; Although most of the D600 body is metal the front panel is polycarbonate. Pentax has shown they can build a tougher WR body.

Fifth is ergonomics; Mostly a matter of opinion, but I always like the control layout of Pentax cameras better. Nikon did add a button for ISO on this one and that helped. In general, I fumbled around a lot controlling the camera. I shoot Nikon systems already, but they always seem to change some things.

So in my opinion Pentax could compete in the entry/mid FF market. That D600 is quite a camera. Drool drool.

Regards.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Pentax K-5 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow