Closing the gap at Photokina.

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Not only size, $$$
In reply to amalric, Sep 27, 2012

Nope, I am interested in it purely from a higher IQ and shallower DoF reason.

Oh, my OM-D E-M5 is amazing, but at the same time, the extra IQ possible from 4x the sensor area and the shallower DoF would be nice to utilize from time to time.

I don't think it is likely I'd buy in to such a thing any year soon (too expensive most likely) and heck, it would never be my main system. However, there were/are plenty of people back in the film days who had medium format cameras and a couple of lenses (or larger format) that they'd use on occasion for the most critical work, but they carried around a 35mm film system for most of their stuff.

amalric wrote:

I think you are an optimist, if you don't think that while selling the RX1 Sony directors don't walk laughing all the way to the bank.

Surely an ILC successor might be cheaper, and perhaps have 3 dedicated lenses that are not too big.

Bu the set would still be v. expensive for what it is, and not have the flexibility of m4/3.

I am not a mirrorless fundamentlist, i think that 135 FF is the pro middle format, and that even dSLR will stay for that.

But then it will become even more refined and expensive, not less. The RX1 is an expensive toy for managers and dentists, who have the money but not the time.

m4/3 goes in the opposite direction, but with such a good sensor, and lens flexibility that it will stay for a loong time, longer than myself at any rate

I think it was at the Phoblographer that I saw a comparison between the Leica M9 and the E-M5, and the latter won in resolution and perhaps even in DR. It is pretty astonishing what small sensors can now do.

My take is that some users can't really fight in their mind the meme of 135mm being the central format, but it is the same of the Equivalence illness. Once you reach such a degree of resolution in cropped sensors, it doesn't make any sense to saddle yourself as a donkey to carry such a system.

BTW the Fuji Trans X sensor is just as astonishing, it even has the filmic feel of a Leica, so what more is needed?

One of the reasons given to cling to 135mm is that you can use legacy lenses at the true focal they were designed for, but you end up in paying quite a bit the privilege

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow