Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,125
Like?
Re: Not sure which way to go (d5100 or 350d)
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Sep 27, 2012

Leonard Migliore wrote:

cugrizz wrote:

So I am going to buy my first DSLR. I have been doing some research and I was planning to buy the Nikon D5100. I feel like it has everything that I would want for some better photography.

However, I was just offered a Canon 350D with 3 lenses (18-55, 50mm, and 55-250) and a crumpler bag. Price would be 500 dollars.

I know the 350D is an older camera, but it has only a few thousand pictures taken. But again, it is much older than the 5100. But, I have been told that even older DSLR cameras are better than my current p/s. So would it be ideal to just get the newer camera with the kit lens (18-55) or get the older camera with many lenses? Not sure what is the ideal move.

(also I am not a canon or nikon brand loyalist so either brand is ok with me)

Any thoughts? Thank you.

The 350D is indeed an old camera in the context of DSLR development. It has 8 megapixels and gets noisy over ISO 800. Also, I suspect that the 18-55 is the original one, which has poor sharpness and isn't stabilized. So while it's better than some P&S cameras it may not be better than, say, an S100.

Absolutely agree there. First thing I did back in the days of the 350D was trade in the new non-IS lens for the IS version second hand. Much better glass and I never regretted it.

So unless you need the money to keep a roof over your head, I'd go with the D5100, which can produce dramatically better pictures than a 350D.
--
Leonard Migliore

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow