Canon 1DX: EC with Manual Exposure Mode and Auto ISO combo?

Started Sep 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 1DX: EC with Manual Exposure Mode and Auto ISO combo?
In reply to Johanfoto, Sep 27, 2012

plevyadophy wrote:
Johanfoto wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

You don't happen to have any similar super exposure tricks for poor peeps like me who have older equipment without the Auto ISO feature do ya?

Actually, I do, depending on how old the equipment is. My EOS-1Ds Mark III for example can't be used this way, because it doesn't have Auto-ISO. It does have 'Safety Shift' though, and that can be used as a kind of 'Auto-ISO for emergencies'. Use the same settings (Tv and aperture limited to one value), but instead of Auto-ISO set the camera to an ISO value you're comfortable with, for example 400 ISO. Then go to C.Fn I (8) and set Safety Shift to 2 (ISO speed). This works as follows: If the camera can't achieve correct exposure using the Shutter Speed and Aperture you've set, combined with 400ISO, it will change the ISO-value as needed to get that correct exposure. Essentially, this is the same as Auto-ISO except that you set a base ISO to start from. And again, because you're using Tv, you do have the EC option available as well.

You are a fekkin star!!

Canon should pay you royalties for making their kit more useful!

I don't have a Mark III. I have the Mark II (I am an extremely poor peasant; I have just got back from queing for a UN food parcel )

I am gonna try this out now with my Mark II and report back here as to how I got on.

EDIT:

Just tried.

Nah. Won't work. Why? Coz Canon, or at least some numb skull who worked for Canon (and has hopefully since been fired) thought it a grand idea to cause the photographer to tether his camera to a computer whenever a Custom/Personal Function parameter needs to be changed. Muppets!!!

I am gonna try and work on a (rather long winded) workaround. I am hoping that I can save various camera setups to the memory card and recall them quickly. If I can, then perhaps I can have each Settings file containt a different shutter speed or whatever. I dunno. It's a loooooong shot, but I will give it a try.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Hmmm, further to my comments above, after just having looked at the settings available on the camera body, I don't think I am gonna have much joy. Unless of course you have another one of your magic workarounds for this old camera too??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow