Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
paparios
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 and Samyang 14mm F2.8 for nightscapes. Manual AF Tipps
In reply to guatitamasluz, Sep 27, 2012

guatitamasluz wrote:

Hi,
I recently upgraded from a 30D to the 5D3.

While thinking about a WA lens I would like to ask you about your field experience with the Samyang 14mm F2.8. It meets my needs for nightscape photography and the price tag is intresting as well.

As it is a manual AF lens, how do you manage focussing on stars in moonless nights?

Back in the filmdays I had a Contax 139 Quartz with these splitted horizontal lines in the viewer as a focussing unit (sorry, don't know the correct term for it being a non-Anglo). So anytime those ends met, sharpness was correct.

How do you handle it using a 5D3 or any other body?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Pedro.

I have that lens and the 5D MKII. What I do is focus the lens at the hyperfocal distance and everything in the photograph from some near distance to infinity will be sharp. For my copy of the 14 f2.8, at f5.6, that means to put the lens focus at about 0.7 meters and everything from there to infinity will be in perfect focus.

Miguel

paparios's gear list:paparios's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow