Are Grad ND's as important as they used to be?

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Clockwerk
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Are Grad ND's as important as they used to be?
Sep 27, 2012

I'm looking for some opinions on if Grad ND's are still worth keeping around in your bag...

I've been looking to invest some money in a ND/Grad ND filter system for a while. I was close to pulling the trigger last year, but after some discussion with my local camera store salesperson he talked me out of it.

His reason:
"It's just as easy to do it in post"

Which is true (to a point), especially with some of the current camera bodies who's sensors have such a vast dynamic range. Much easier now to pull those pesky highlight back into line, or get some detail out of those shadows.

Still a part of me thinks I'm doing it wrong, and should be getting the best possible capture out in the field.

Attached is a photo I pulled about 3 stops out of a blown sky in post, I am curious if I could of gotten a better shot using an grad ND that day.

-- hide signature --

Just a simple guy who likes complicated cameras.

Clockwerk's gear list:Clockwerk's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow