Full set of new lenses for my 7d

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
G Rothwell
Forum MemberPosts: 95Gear list
Like?
Re: Full set of new lenses for my 7d
In reply to BaldCol, Sep 27, 2012

Having money to spend on kit is great, until you realise just how many options you have!

You really need to think about what photos you take.

Personally I take 90% of my photos in our 2 week holidays in national parks in the western US.

I used to have 1 camera with 3 primes and 2 zooms, I was trying to change lenses quickly enough to get a photo of a bear walking past, or switching to the macro lens to get an insect, then back to wide angle for the scenery all the time. I was stressing about making a mess of my sensor and I was missing shots that I should have taken.

I came to the conclusion this was spoiling my enjoyment of photography, and our holidays. So I changed to 2 cameras (5D, 7D), and 2 lenses (24-105, 100-400) (+ 50mm 1.4 for low light).

They are big and heavy, but I never miss a shot that I should have got, and I'm happy when I'm photographing.

I'm not saying that this is the right solution for you, or anyone else. I'm saying work out what is important to you, and spend your money accordingly.

Some other thoughts on the lenses I do/have owned:

The 100-400L is far superior to the 70-300 (NOT L) that I previously owned, focus is very fast. I couldn't imagine swapping back to a max 300mm lens for wildlife.

The 24-105 is great on the 5D, but on the odd occasions I have used it on the 7D I do hit the wide limit often.

I've used the EF-S 15-85 on the 7D, and the quality was excellent, good enough that I would have happily replaced the 5D + 24-105 with that and another 7D if the 7D had not been faulty.

Sigma 12-24, amazing a real ultra wide angle lens, I had seen some great shots with it. I loved using it, but the results were often poor, nothing wrong with the lens, just the user. Maybe it's just me, but composition with ultra wide angle is a real art, and I don't have the talent.

Best of luck with your decisions.

Graham.

G Rothwell's gear list:G Rothwell's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hey!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow