Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,259Gear list
Like?
My next camera is going to be . . .
Sep 27, 2012

I've decided not to do anything at the moment and to just continue using my NEX-5N for now. I was strongly considering the Canon 5D Mark III for a few months. And then along came the the Nikon D600 and I nearly pulled the trigger. However, the Live View limitations really turned me off, particularly not being able to see changes in aperture as you make them without turning L.V. off and then back on. The whole Live View implementation feels years behind what I have on my NEX-5N. I don't feel like paying $1,700 over the current new NEX-5N to go backwards. And then came news that you couldn't take a photo and quickly check the sharpness at 100% without hitting a review button and then a zoom button multiple times. I played with a D600 at a local camera shop and I couldn't believe the large size of the camera. It really is huge and I wouldn't be able to walk around holding that in my hand for hours like I do now -- I'd have to wear a neck strap if I want near instant access. I did that with a Nikon D70 for many years and I don't feel like going through hot afternoons with a sweaty neck. I also decided the Canon 5D-III is just too expensive for what you get. I am sure it's great for others, but it doesn't seem $1,300 better than a Nikon D600, for example.

I will check out the A99 when it comes out and read the reviews, but large camera size really is something that just bothers me, I guess. Then again, the A99 has a neat zoned focus range (e.g., to target 10' - 15' out so you don't focus on the an object close by or far away -- and the range is customizable). Also, and more importantly, the LCD of the A99 should be light years ahead of the D600 and the A99 will also have an articulating LCD screen, which I love. I like it on my 5N so much that I would almost prefer to have a DSLR that doesn't use a view finder at all . . . and that leads me to the RX1. I really have my eye on it because it meets my desire to go full frame and to stay smaller. I use my Zeiss 24/1.8 for 90+% of my shooting. I could easily transition into using the RX1 day in and day out and having the 5N for the rare times when I need another focal length. I look forward to the real reviews of the RX1. I see that the shipping date of the A99 is already being pushed back. Since the RX1 copies that people have seen up to this point were dummy models that didn't even turn on, I suspect we'll see delays on it as well. Sigh.

Unfortunately, I've outgrown my 5N. It was great a year ago when I was trying to step up my photography game. I learned and grew with the 5N just swell. But now I have reached a point where I can give up the touch screen to get other features I want (seems necessary), and I do want other features. 2011 me would still buy a 5N without hesitation, but the current me would buy an NEX-7 if it was just coming out and I needed a camera. I like the external controls on the 7 quite a bit. But even the 7 is almost too limiting. For example, today I was shooting an art festival outside and wanted to use my Voigtlander Nokton at f/1.4 to target a few faces in the crowds and separate them from the other faces. A shutter speed of 1/4000 was still barely too slow and I would have captured some blown highlights. I am watching for the NEX-7 upgrade to see how it improves on a great camera. I doubt we get 1/8000 but there should be other welcome improvements and hopefully the wide angle lens performance improves. Assuming I don't get the RX1 then the NEX 7 replacement is high on my list. I suspect my next camera will be one of those 2, though. So I will be patient for many months or longer.

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
blahNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow