I got a D3S

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Power2g Regular Member • Posts: 109
I got a D3S

I bought the D800 and absolutely fell in love with it. However, I was one of the unfortunate ones that had the AF issue. I exchanged it 4 times and couldn't believe each body was worst than the previous. I had decided to wait for Nikon to fix the problem at assembly.

In the interim and wanting the D800 back badly I was in contact with my favorite camera store on a weekly bases. On one of my calls the manager told me he got a used D3S with only 1300 clicks. I got it for $100 less than the D800. I was amazed. I must say I am in love with the D3S, it is just an easy camera to use, it really stays out the way; if you know what I mean and I think anyone that owns a D3S understands that. The D800 does make you adjust your shooting style to get your best capture, which isn't a bad thing, because it helped me fix bad habits.

Do I miss the D800, absolutely, it is a phenomenal camera and the DR and Detail is superb. However, the D3S is just as superior but in a slightly different way. I do consider the D800 a specialized camera because of the file sizes; they are huge. Every PSD file I created was between 500MB - 1.5GB. Yes the raw files are large but the PSDs are atrocious. This for me makes it a specialize camera and it increases the Total Cost of Ownership of the D800 to be drastically above the D3S because of the additional cost of external hard-drives to store these monstrous files.

In reality (which was a hard pill for me to swallow), the D3S meets or exceeds 90% of my photography needs, even for studio work (and this is probably the case for many photographers). I will keep my D3S for a long time to come and will add the D800 back to my arsenal sometime in the future once Nikon really fix the AF issue that is plaguing a number of the D800s.
--
Keep the art of photography alive

Power2g's gear list:Power2g's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D3S Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow