Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Power2g
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
I got a D3S
Sep 26, 2012

I bought the D800 and absolutely fell in love with it. However, I was one of the unfortunate ones that had the AF issue. I exchanged it 4 times and couldn't believe each body was worst than the previous. I had decided to wait for Nikon to fix the problem at assembly.

In the interim and wanting the D800 back badly I was in contact with my favorite camera store on a weekly bases. On one of my calls the manager told me he got a used D3S with only 1300 clicks. I got it for $100 less than the D800. I was amazed. I must say I am in love with the D3S, it is just an easy camera to use, it really stays out the way; if you know what I mean and I think anyone that owns a D3S understands that. The D800 does make you adjust your shooting style to get your best capture, which isn't a bad thing, because it helped me fix bad habits.

Do I miss the D800, absolutely, it is a phenomenal camera and the DR and Detail is superb. However, the D3S is just as superior but in a slightly different way. I do consider the D800 a specialized camera because of the file sizes; they are huge. Every PSD file I created was between 500MB - 1.5GB. Yes the raw files are large but the PSDs are atrocious. This for me makes it a specialize camera and it increases the Total Cost of Ownership of the D800 to be drastically above the D3S because of the additional cost of external hard-drives to store these monstrous files.

In reality (which was a hard pill for me to swallow), the D3S meets or exceeds 90% of my photography needs, even for studio work (and this is probably the case for many photographers). I will keep my D3S for a long time to come and will add the D800 back to my arsenal sometime in the future once Nikon really fix the AF issue that is plaguing a number of the D800s.
--
Keep the art of photography alive

Power2g's gear list:Power2g's gear list
Nikon D800
Nikon D3S Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow