Best telephoto lens > 50mm to with nex 7, Auto focus is optional

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
Himas
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Re: Best telephoto lens > 50mm to with nex 7, Auto focus is optional
In reply to D Cox, Sep 26, 2012

Thanks. I'm still considering 55-210, but want to know if any better choices exist.

D Cox wrote:

Himas wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for good telephoto lens for my Nex 7. Currently I have 16f2.8, 18-55(kit) and 50f1.8 all from sony, I need a good telephoto lens. Auto focus need not be necessary. Any mount is welcome, but a good lens in budget of less than $600.

Those who have the 55-210 seem to be happy with it.

Among manual lenses, I am getting excellent results with a 200mm f/4 Nikon lens, fully manual. But this is a big jump up from 55mm. You do need to use shutter speeds of 1/1000 or higher for best results with this lens.

This web site has a very good listing of Nikkor lenses. Lenses from Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Pentax, etc are just as good. German lenses cost much more than Japanese ones.

In practice, there are two questions:

1. Is it single-coated or multi-coated? A single-coated lens can give superb results, but you do have to be more careful to keep the sun out of the picture.

2. Has the grease dried up in the focussing? Stiff focussing is quite annoying. It is of course a routine repair job for any professional dealer, but this does add to the cost of the lens.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Himas

Himas's gear list:Himas's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow