D50 Upgrade Plan - your thoughts please!

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
harry
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,000Gear list
Like?
Re: D50 Upgrade Plan - your thoughts please!
In reply to Credo, Sep 26, 2012

I also have had the D50 for 6-7 years. Actually I bought one new first, then gave it to my daughter, and later bought a used one for myself. My lenses are no-frill 50mm F1.8, 18-70mm, and a 70-210mm F4.

Even though it is only a 6MP camera, the IQ is still extremely pleasing - as long as the ISO is low. Compared to newer models, the ISO performance is a real killer. D7000's ISO1600 is on par or better than D50's ISO400. D600 should be even better

I have not upgraded to another DSLR because in the past few years, the quality and price of compact p&s has advanced so much that I mostly just need a p&s for most pictures (and videos) I took.

Currently I have a CP P300 (got it @ $229 new when it was on sale) and a CP P7000 (also got @ $229 new when it was bogged down by a lot of bugs). Between the two, I have been able to capture a lot of great images for family, on vacations, etc. The HD video capability was a real bonus, so I don't have to bring a video camera anymore (who does nowadays? LOL)

I found I would take much more pictures with a compact p&s than a DSLR, even though I knew a DSLR would give me a better IQ.

If you haven't had used a good quality compact digicam (not only Nikon, but other brands too), you owe yourself to check into some very nice offerings, especially the mirrowless models. You will find out for much less the price of a D600, you could probably get a great Sony RX100, Fujifilm X10, or the Nikon J1/V1 with the 10-30mm/30-100mm bundle. The Nikon 1 system does have the advantage to allow you to use the 70-300mm VR with an adaptor.

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot A40 Nikon Coolpix P50 Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P300 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow