Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jed Z. Buchwald
Forum MemberPosts: 93Gear list
Like?
Xpro images with 18mm and 60mm
Sep 26, 2012

I recently sold a Sony Nex 7 with a set of lenses and replaced it with the Fuji Xpro+the three available primes. The Nex is a very good camera, but six things about it bothered me. First, the menu system is difficult to use despite the pretty good set of dials. Second, it always felt like a computer and not a camera. Third, the EVF, though very high quality, was difficult to use with glasses because of the hard-rubber surround - it often simply would not toggle on. Fourth, I found the Nex a bit difficult to use with manual focus despite the focus peaking. Fifth, the Nex 7 is not great at ISOs above about 1600. Finally, it just did not feel good to me in use. I had previously owned a Fuji x100 and had replaced it with the Nex because I wanted other focal lengths and a bit more room for cropping, though I did not need 24 megapixels.

I very much like the xpro (ver. 2 firmware). Most of the time I use the OVF (except for closeups). The EVF, though certainly not as high res as the one on the Nex 7, is nevertheless perfectly useable for framing and overall look when coupled with the histogram. The lack of diopter does not bother me because, once I removed the existing screw-in one, I found that everything (OVF and EVF) is clear when I use my reading glasses, which I carry along in the Billingham small case together with the camera, all three lenses, and Fuji flash (the whole thing, including bag, weighs about 4.5 lbs,, which is a lot less than the Sony A900+Tamron zoom that I carried around for a couple of years.)

Haven't as yet had very much time to work with the xpro, but below are a few quick images with the 60mm and the 18mm. Normally I would use RAW, but Lightroom does not do a great job with that, and in any case the OOC jpgs are so nice and seem to leave a fair amount of room for adjustment in Lightroom.

I do wish that Fuji in the next firmware upgrade would allow setting a minimum shutter speed when using ISO auto. Otherwise I find the autofocus quite adequate most of the time, and the new firmware really makes manual focusing a breeze. Focus peaking would be nice, and I also wish that the instant image review would show a histogram, and that you could enlarge the normal image view to different degrees. But the menu system - especially the fantastic Q button - is, for me at least, overall very good, except that it should be possible to assign the focus point shift to the FN button instead of the AF, since for me the latter is not so easy to push when shooting with the viewfinder.

Jed Z. Buchwald's gear list:Jed Z. Buchwald's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow