D50 Upgrade Plan - your thoughts please!

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Credo
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
D50 Upgrade Plan - your thoughts please!
Sep 26, 2012

I feel the time has come for me to upgrade my faithful D50, which has served me well for over six years. Now seems to be a complex time to consider which upgrade path to follow, with one route now clear with the D600, and the other not so clear with much talk of the future of DX and the lack of new DX bodies and lenses.

As you can see in my signature below, my lenses are Nikkor 18-135mm, Nikkor 50mm F1.8D and Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro.

The D600 is too expensive at the moment especially as I'd have to shell out for the kit lens package to replace my 18-135 (I believe the 50 and 70mm are 'FX' compatible.

So, it seems wise to wait a few months, save some money and see what develops.

The point of my post is this - I've long considered the Nikkor 70-300 VR as my next lens, as I never seem to have the desired reach. I'm thinking that adding this lens would breathe some new life into my D50 while I watch the DX-FX dust settle, and be there for the D600 or whatever DX body is announced in the near future.

Would the 70-300 VR be a good choice on the D600, or is it not really up to the job on FX?

Your thoughts are welcome...
--
Martin

D50 - Nikkor 18-135mm - Nikkor 50mm F1.8D - Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro - SB800

Credo's gear list:Credo's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D50 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow