Part-time-pro moving from DSLR to M43 - thoughts?

Started Sep 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jason
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Got the G5
In reply to Jason, Sep 26, 2012

My G5 arrived yesterday along with a MFT to Nikon adapter. I shot close to 300 exposures yesterday, and I have a few observations.

First, Amazon has reduced the price to about $725, and they refunded me the difference, so the G5 kit is a great deal right now.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the camera. It's small and plasticky (which I expected), so it's kind of jarring to switch from my metallic beast D300 to the G5. So far, I'm really liking the controls--pretty much everything is quick and easy to adjust, and I haven't even taken time to set the Fn switches. I'm not crazy about the control wheel on the back--it's set too far to the right. I'm used to the wheel being under my thumb at all times, but I can't dial the G5s wheel and keep a firm grip with my right hand. It's not a big deal, but a questionable design decision.

I really like the screen and the EVF. When I first looked into the EVF, I decided to return the camera. After shooting with it for a bit, I'm liking it a lot. I think it might actually add to my photographer-cred, because my clients won't see me checking the screen! I can view the exposure results in the EVF immediately after the shot, so I look like I always know exactly what I'm doing.

I'm not thrilled with the kit lens. It does a decent job, but it seems kind of soft thus far. Especially in the lower left corner, which makes me wonder if it's defective. I panicked for a minute when I heard something loose rattling around inside, but then I read on DPReview that it's just the OIS mechanism and that it's normal. I'll be shooting more before I make final judgement--I haven't had a chance to shoot in good light.

The high ISO performance is pretty mind-blowing. So far, I'd be happy selling shots at 1600, and maybe even higher, if the scene isn't too detailed.

I had some fun with the Nikon adapter. It cost less than $20 on Amazon, so it was a no-brainer. I tried my 50mm 1.8, and it was FANTASTIC! I was shooting around my house last night at ISO 800 and 1600, f1.8, and getting incredible results. Very detailed, even at those settings with a razor-thin DOF and pleasing OOF areas. I also slapped on my mammoth 80-200 2.8 (one friend calls it the donkey schlong) and had similar results. I took reasonably sharp hand-held shots at 400mm (equivalent), 2.8 and 1600 ISO in my dimly lit house. It's an instant wildlife powerhouse (as long as the wildlife is sitting still, I guess).

The fun I had shooting with my Nikon glass presented another problem. I was planning to sell that glass to get new MFT glass, but I'm not so sure I want to. I really love those lenses--especially my Sigma 18-50 2.8. And that got me thinking--what if I keep my glass and just switch out my D300 for a D5100 or similar? It's not THAT much bigger than a G5. And I'm assuming that the newer Nikons have similar high-ISO performance to the newer MFTs?

I don't know. This whole thing is just bringing out my fear of commitment, I guess.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow