ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photomeme
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
Reid up with more M details
Sep 26, 2012

I read Sean Reid's part II preview.

Frankly it was kind of a yawner, unless you want to hear all the ins and outs of EVF, Live View and Video. These topics don't interest me, so I don't know how much new information he's offering.

He points out the EVF frame rate is a disappointing 30fps, so the image blurs when recomposing or following a dynamic subject.

I was crushed to hear that the spot metering I'd heard mentioned is just a hack of the video feed that comes out of Live View mode, and not usable when in standard rangefinder mode. I'd thought the M was bringing a significant improvement to metering, but now I'd say it's no big deal.

Reid didn't seem to appreciate the importance of image stabilization to video. He suggested the M might be an alternative for video gathering for reportage use. I'm not sure that's the case (although I'm aware you can do digital tricks to stabilize a reduced frame in post processing).

I was surprised by his report that the shutter speed is no quieter than the M9 in standard shutter mode.

Reid says it's just as loud, only more brief. If true, with the removal of discreet mode to support Live View, the M will be less stealthy than the M9 in many situations.

There's a lot more in his part II, but nothing that grabbed my attention.

No comment on ISO noise or IQ, btw.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow