Ban the flash and beep, or at least make it a default.

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,514
Like?
Ban the flash and beep, or at least make it a default.
Sep 26, 2012

I would love for it to be made international law for all cameras to revert at each switch on to no flash, no noise and no focus assist light in all modes: with massive fines if this is not adhered to. Also that no electronic item of any sorts beeps unless specifically made to do so and hopefully it will be as complex to switch the beep on as it is complex, if not impossible, to switch it off in so many gadgets. Shutter noise would be an exception as surreptitious photo taking can be just as anti-social.

Also it could be made law that sufficient provocation has occurred to justify hurling someone off a train at any speed where they have been beeping every key press in their email for more than 1 minute. On reflection it would be more humane if one had to wait until the next stop.

I often find it embarrassing when I am using a camera and it flashes even when I think it is not enabled. They do seem to have an unstoppable instinct to emit bright light and noise.

In fact a public nuisance switch would be useful so you have to switch it to the 'Cause Maximum Anoyance' setting each time you switch any electronic device on. Would be a bit more effective than a 'Museum' mode hidden deep in the menu as though anywhere else flash and noise does not matter. I always find it disturbing when people use flash in Zoos when it must be pretty disturbing for the animals. I suspect also that 99% of flash photography is beyond the range of the flash and serves primarily to distract sports people and the general public without having any effect on exposure. I think a bit of noise on a photo is far preferable to imposing sound and light noise on someone else's life.

Of course none of this will happen but hope springs eternal, only for it to be inevitably crushed.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow