omd-em5 bulb exposure noise levels

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bryan Biggers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,516Gear list
Like?
Re: omd-em5 bulb exposure noise levels
In reply to liquidsquid, Sep 26, 2012

Actually, I think that there may be interaction going on between the noise filter (what Oly calls their software noise reduction) and the dark frame subtraction. I accidentally had it on for the second set of shots set on "low" instead of Off. I think that maybe the noise filter is applied first, both to the frame and the dark frame, before the DF is subtracted. That results in an imperfect subtraction and the hot pixels still being visible. I'll test that tonight if it is clear enough. Not sure if that is true, but I'll find out.

Yeah, I can see why you would not want to use the dark frame to stack star trails; takes too long and you would get a gap. You certainly could take 2 minute shots though and stack those and subtract your own dark frame or use noise removal software.

For what you want to do, you might have to buy an intervalometer release cable. In bulb mode the camera will not start another exposure even if the remote is locked down. The longest timed exposure (not bulb) you can set in manual mode is 60 seconds, and that will still allow you to set sequential shooting. So if you are OK with one minute exposures, you could lock it down and go away for a couple hours.

Bryan Biggers's gear list:Bryan Biggers's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow