Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lnguyenh
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?
What are you trying to achieve?
Sep 26, 2012

I kind of enjoy looking at other people pictures on the forum, and trying to critique them. However, each time, I have to face the fact that people take pictures for a lot of different reasons. So commenting on someone else's pictures is quite hard because this person and me dont share the same goals. People talking different languages.

Maybe people have different levels of "ambition", and obviously they have different taste (subject choice, and appreciation within a subject).

Personally, what I try to achieve is some kind of depth of feeling. I dont want cold/informative pictures. I want emotion, like sadness, nostalgy, mistery. I find it fascinating that you can completely make an atmosphere using the limitation of a picture frame. I am always building an "inspiration image database", and I compare my pictures to ones I really like. So I am rarely satisfied. (Actually, doing this, I also find that people asking for CC should be able to easily do it too, without asking for CC. "What is different between the pictures I like and the pictures I take?"). I am not here for the "technically perfect shot". I like shadows, and usually dont want smiles. Maybe half of my pictures are self assigned projects, where I have people for a one or two hour session . Maybe my tastes are leaning towards the "artsy" type, and/or "editorial", and almost exclusively pictures of people. I am purely a hobbyist btw. Parallel to this, I also take pictures as "memories", and then my goals can sometimes be less ambitious and I can be satisfied with "snapshots". Maybe to sum it up, what I try to achieve when taking pictures is : "creation of atmospheres", and "romantic memories".

What do YOU want to achieve?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow