Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
M Dennis Fern
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
GXR M mount vs. Leica M9
Sep 26, 2012

I happily use a GXR with M mount with an excellent group of 5 Summicrons and Elmarits I purchased new in the late 90s. I crop and make large prints, and they are very sharp, with great color, depth, little noise, and often with the legendary 3D effect associated with Leica. I like the rangefinder on my Leica film cameras and the simple elegance of Leica, but I find focusing using live view and focus peaking on my GXR adequate and it is very compact, sturdy and usable.

Now that the price of the M9 has dropped substantially (price is relevant to me), I am considering buying an M9 because I assume that the M9, with a much larger full frame sensor will take better photos than the GXR, which brings me to the point of this thread: Excerpt for the crop issue, what will the M9 add to my photography? More specifically, does the M9 take seriously better photos than the GXR with the same lens (assume same photographic skills)? If so, in what ways?

I realize the M9 has an 18 MP full frame sensor, versus the 12 MP Aps-C sensor of the GXR, and while it seems logical that the M9 will be very superior, however, I have not actually seen anything comparing the picture taking capabilities of the two cameras except for general claims that the M9 is much better.

Are you aware of any practical comparisons or have you performed a comparison yourself? What about forum members that use both cameras?

Thanks for your views.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow