From Sony to Nikon D600 (and some high ISO shots)

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
From Sony to Nikon D600 (and some high ISO shots)
Sep 26, 2012

Recently, I made the jump and got a D600, partly because I was disappointed with the a580's AF tracking when shooting sports, and partly because I was underwhelmed by Sony's a77 and a99. I'm still keeping my a580, but it'll mainly be a backup camera now. Some thoughts...

• The D600's autofocus system is amazing. Over and over again, it'll nail every frame, even during bursts with fast moving subjects. That happens even with release priority set for AF-C.

• Compared to the a580, the D600 is really responsive. Mirror blackout seems shorter, even though it's using a much larger mirror. The release priority option also means that I'm never stuck waiting for the camera.

• I don't have the a580's 7 fps burst mode anymore, but the D600's faster response means that I don't have to rely on spray-and-pray methods as much.

• The a580 really skimped on customization options, but the D600 has so many that it can take a while to find specific options. The 'my menu' feature is quite useful.

• At first glance there doesn't seem to be a rule of thirds grid available, even in live view. I miss this. However, the D600's live view implementation is otherwise pretty good. I do miss the articulating screen on my a580, but hopefully the D600's fixed screen is more durable, and won't break like the one on my a580.

• There's no way to magnify to 100% in playback with a single button press, which is disappointing.

• I dislike how some shooting related controls (ISO, image quality, drive mode) are on the left side, where they can't be easily reached if you're supporting a heavy telephoto with your left hand.

Some images...well, basically real world high ISO samples. They're out of camera JPGs because it's been difficult to find raw converter support for the D600.
Badminton:

Soccer: ISO 25600 (Hi 2.0)

ISO 10000 (Hi 0.7):

AF tracking is spot on:

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Nikon D600 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow