Using the Left/Right- most focussing points vs Manual Focusing?

Started Sep 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TonyJohns
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Using the Left/Right- most focussing points vs Manual Focusing?
Sep 26, 2012

Just a quick question? Recently rented out the D800 and really enjoyed it! I used the left most focusing points for a couple of my test shots, however I didn't think it at the time it would be something that I would use frequently. In the meantime i've ordered a D600 because I felt it better suited my needs. After recently seeing pictures on the web taken from the 85mm 1.8G I've become really interested in this lens and it seems like a really good portrait lens. Now it has been clearly documented that the 39 auto-focusing points on the D600 are clustered closer to the center than on the D800. I was just wondering... If shooting wide open say @ f1.8 - and you want to frame your subject on the left side. It should still be possible to use manual focussing to bring them into focus if lets say the left-most focusing points on a D600 are not "left enough".... shouldn't it??

1. Is there a difference between using the left most focussing points to bring a subject in focus vs using manual focus?

2. Does using the left most focussing points blur the center at the same depth of field?

Thanks in advance for the helpful answers!

Tony

Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow