A few things on DXo, EM-5 score, etc.

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,166Gear list
Like?
Clueless link...
In reply to IrishhAndy, Sep 25, 2012

Wow, so this guy rails about people using the wrong terms and yet he clearly didn't even bother to look up the definition of dynamic range for image sensors.

Yeah, the DxO definition isn't quite right, but this guy has it totally wrong himself. Word to the wise, just because Google spits something out doesn't make it right. Go look up the definition in books on image sensor design, you'll see your source got it wrong.

I mean his article is good and I quite like the explanation of a complicated topic, but the definition of dynamic range for image sensors is full well capacity divided by read noise. His example of the DR of a noiseless photon counter being 1:1000 isn't correct.

Anyway, helpful article but the details aren't quite right and your interpretation is quite off base as well.

IrishhAndy wrote:

Please lighten us : what is the true meaning of dynamic range?>

Ever heard of google?

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/09/dynamic-range-is-not-exposure-range-part-i.html

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow