Do Pros Prefer Fixed or Articulating/Tilting LCD (Displays)?

Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
Do Pros Prefer Fixed or Articulating/Tilting LCD (Displays)?
Sep 25, 2012

I am not a pro so I can't answer this question. I use my cameras for backup visual data for my paintings as well as creating digital copies of my paintings. As a result, I find titling LCDs to be a major advantage over fixed for the following reasons (and I am talking about live view situations mainly):

1. I can easily look down and quickly compose my photo

2. While doing copy work I can easily look down and near perfectly frame the painting

in the LCD so I know I don't have to do distortion corrections on my PC afterward
3. After the photo is shot I can more easily look down and check data

4. I have a much greater range of posibilities for views (e.g. ground level flowers etc.)

Accordingly, I only use APS-C and MFT cameras (with the T4i I can finally live view much more easily). I want to now move up to FF but I find that I need to move to Sony to do that if I want live view articulating. In the studio doing copy work there is the option of using a PC in conjunction to take the place of the LCD but it is more of a hassel.

So, I would appreciate it people that like fixed LCDs could give me work arounds that they use and what disadvantages there are to articulating/titling displays. The manufacturers keep on making fixed so I assume they are desired by pros.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
flakNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow