Macro shots from Olympus 60mm, using the Metz macro flash

Started Sep 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
BJL
BJL
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,731
Like?
manual focusing for macros with no tripod is a problem too!
In reply to nzmacro, Sep 25, 2012

nzmacro,

I've never met a fly, butterfly, grasshopper, etc that will sit long enough for you to set and fiddle around with AF points. Certainly not over 1:1 anyway. I only shoot MF and my eye picks the selective focus.

I agree that when you need to focus at an off-center point with a subject that is not going to stay around for long, manual focus might be needed. Then again, with such subjects you probably will not have time to set up a tripod either, so getting accurate manual focus requires more skill and steady hand-holding that I have.

But I do not understand you comment about

... YOU need to set the focus point and not let the AF decide what is the focus point.

since I was clearly not talking about letting the AF system choose the AF point.

Frankly, with the moving subjects that you talk about, there is probably no time for any of:

• selecting a specific off-center AF point with arrow keys (though a suitable touch-screen interface might sometimes be fast enough)

• MF precisely with EVF zoom (which requires either focus-and-recompose if the zoom is at center of frame, or manually selecting the zoom area)

• setting up a tripod with the camera in the right position.

So my choice is to set AF in advance to use only the center point (my default setting anyway), point it where I want focus, and frame so that everything I want in the final image is in the frame, at the cost of loose framing and some cropping if I want that focus point off-center in the final composition. Then again, I do not care much about pixel counts beyond about 10MP except for this sort of cropping latitude, so I am happy to crop where some people demand tight framing.

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach:
you can have any two at one time.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow