Evironmental Portraits - 7D and 24mm f1.4 L

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
kjbkix
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
Re: Evironmental Portraits - 7D and 24mm f1.4 L
In reply to cambomj, Sep 25, 2012

I too have the 7D with Sigma 50 and Canon 24L II. I primarily got the 24L for video use (think low light wedding receptions) and love to use it indoors at parties/events. For outdoors in the daytime I'll switch to the 15-85 without a doubt.

Funny thing regarding "lasting a long time" - i think if I get a 5D3 I will have to sell the 24L since it's really a bit too wide at that point, and move to the 35mm FL.

24 + 50 on crop is representing 35 and 85 on FF, which is where I'd want to remain.

But yes, for what its worth, I love the 24L on 7D for all things indoors - really nothing can compete (except moving to FF, where 5D2 + 35 f/2 gives the same FoV and DoF)

cambomj wrote:

Hi all,

This forum has given me lots of advice about lens choice and I am now looking at another I'm a portrait guy taking photos of my family - sort of see my job as documenting my kids childhood with a little dabble in landscape every now and then.

I currently use a 7D with Canon 24-105 and 70-200mm f2.8 and Sigma 10-20 and 50mm 1.4 and I am happy with all of this. No plans for FF for a long time yet..

The Sigma 50mm is probably my favourite lens and I really love the narrow DoF and low light capability that this lens has. It has really improved my photography but now I want something wider to compliment it and I am leaning to the 24mm L .

So I am asking you for your input and samples of the 7D and the 24mm - can you sell me on this combo for environmental portrait shots? I know I can set my zoom at 24 but I am particularly interested in low light capabilities that the zoom doesn't offer.

Thanks to all,

Mark

kjbkix's gear list:kjbkix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow