Panasonic Lumix GH3. My first 3 hours impressions. /1

Started Sep 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Except....
In reply to rocklobster, Sep 25, 2012

It's really NOT very big. Compare it to any DSLR with a similar build-quality and feature set, and it's still pretty darn small. Comparing it to plastic bodied, entry-level cameras like Rebels only makes sense if you have an agenda you're trying to push. And it's still a fair big smaller than a 4Ti, anyway.

Just as the G3 is very small compared to a Rebel, the GH3 is very small compared to a 7D or D300, which share the semi-pro, rugged build design ethic of the GH3.

Whether the GH3 succeeds in competing in that class of camera we don't know yet. But if it fails, it won't be because it's too big compared to it's competition.

rocklobster wrote:

....you are going to be puzzled by this camera. To me, being an Olympus fan that only for a millisecond found the menu system bewildering, the GH3 has lost the plot by growing in size and weight. Sure, some say it handles better and has better balance, better for large hands etc, but for me it strays too far from the M4/3 pilosophy. But, I suppose, if you think it is too big just buy the G5 but, of course, I prefer the E-M5 and lickily I have smallish hands for a man. No jokes about small other body parts please!

Cheers

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AleoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow