ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rooru S
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
My own SLT-A99 quick test with some pics (FW 0.90) - Panama
Sep 25, 2012

Hello everyone

I'm a Sony Alpha NEX shooter but Sony Panama offered people the chance to test pre-production A99 cameras (on sept 23) so I tried to take the camera on several situations to test the camera's capabilites. Note: Some pictures show wrong date (The ones from the A99). I set the date correctly later on. Sorry in advance for any gramatical errors, I'm not an excellent english speaker.

This is a non-scientific comparison of NEX-5 and A99 taken with my cellphone.

They allowed me to take the Carl Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 (They had available the Sony G 300mm f/2.8, Sony 28-75 f/2.8 SAM and the Sony G 70-200mm f/2.8, but I decided to test the camera with the CZ)

I took several pictures at different ISO levels (NOTE: you can select ISO between the usual values manually) but with the current crappy ARW converter from Sony, I'm not allowed to convert them to JPEG so I'm left with the JPEG I took with the camera. This one was shot at ISO 6400. Downsized a little bit from the whooping 24MP (6000x4000) to something around 18MP (5250x3500) to comply with DPR rules.

Now something at ISO 100 (Note: there are ISO 50 and ISO 80 available too)

This was set at ISO 800. I took off the Carl Zeiss 24-70 and put my own old Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (yes, I know, crappy lens compared to the Sony G 70-300).

This one, I think it was at ISO 100. Back with the Carl Zeiss 24-70.

I'm not used at all to the razor thin DOF of Full-frame cameras, but at least here you can see how sharp is the Carl Zeiss Zoom. Focus is on girl's hair.

Overall, I'm pleased with the camera. The EVF seems to be exactly the same as A77. The layout of buttons seems to be OK, with each button being different in shape (some have a concave design, others a proturding design, some even have a little dot to indicate the difference with other similar buttons to avoid getting your eye away from the beautiful Viewfinder). I had a small problem with the viewfinder proximity sensor at first, while being outside with a shiny sun, that I had to put my face against the camera to get the VF switched in auto mode, but don't know why moments later it was just fine and didn't had to stick my face against the back, in any case, you can select to switch manually from the LCD to VF if you wish. The inclusion of the quicknavi again is a joy. You can see almost all parameters there and even have histogram and spirit level. I can confirm there is audio level control on video. Will try to upload some HDR pictures, and other pics I got from this camera. Any question you may have, will try to answer as soon as I can.

NOTE: SLT-A99 was a pre-production version, so FW was not final (0.90)
--
Proud Sony NEX 5 user

Rooru S's gear list:Rooru S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W170 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +6 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow