Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PHOTOJOE55
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Too much Gear or Too Few Photographers?
Sep 25, 2012

Photography has always been competitive. I can't remember a time that there was enough work for all the Photographers looking for jobs. Even now, I can name at least a dozen friends, decent Photographers that are working in "sales" because there are no real photographic jobs for them.

And now, with new cameras coming out on almost a daily basis, all the suppliers designing and building gear, so much overlap between the suppliers. I think we're headed toward a technology equipment overload. At first, it will seem great, as prices come down, due to the competition. A sure sign will be the closing of stores, then the mergers, but after that, where will they all go? Already, I see the casual shooters saying "I'll use my phone to take pictures, How many gadgets can I carry?

The quality of the "Camera Phones" is pretty good too! Good enough for many. At Photokina, New ideas were everywhere, wait for the CES, I think it will be evident. How much gear can we buy? How many large screen tv's can we put in our houses? Picture "Devices in every room.

Bigger sensors, smaller cameras, more megapixels? Touchscreens on the back of miniature cameras? Zeiss and Leica fighting for a spot on a "Point & Shoot? I think we're headed for a technology overload. If it keeps going at this rate, it Is going to hit the fan, it's inevitable! If you remember, they predicted the year 2525. I think it's a lot closer to 2020. How many Photographers do you know that are out of work? Everyone thinks that Digital saved Photography, but in fact, it may turn out to be what destroyed Photography. ... Joe Prete

PHOTOJOE55's gear list:PHOTOJOE55's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D300 +14 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow