Started Sep 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
M Dennis Fern
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Full Frame M Module for the GXR
Sep 25, 2012

It is reasonable to conclude that dire predictions of the demise of the GXR are premature. I base that on the fact that RIcoh displayed the GXR at its booth and various interviews with Pentax-Ricoh execs that followed.

Rico'h's engineers have been a think-outside-the box group in the past--witness the GXR and GRD. A Rioch GXR 35mm M mount module would be big news in the photographic world and make a big, positive impact on the Pentax-Ricoh brand.

Contrasted with Leica, which has become the Louis Vuitton of the camera business (a supplier of high quality products with extraordinarily high prices, to appeal primarily to affluent customers to whom status is an important, even primary, consideration), RIcoh has a reputation for providing high quality, premium but high value products. I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me RIcoh could stuff a 35mm sensor into an M mount module and sell the heck out of them for a price with a suitable profit margin that doesn't have to be equal to the cost of a small automobile. That would shake up the mirrorless camera segment and put Pentax-Ricoh back on the map as a pioneer of fine camera equipment. Pentax could even supply premium, "Limited" manual focus lenses with M mounts. Unlike the notion of a Pentax mount module, the FF M mount would be a win-win for the combined company and provide a prestige product that would enhance the Ricoh-Pentax brand.

The other "tweaks" needed to make the GXR a great alternative to Leica or Fuji have been repeatedly discussed in this forum, but the BIG deal in the photographic community would be a competitively priced, full frame, manual focus camera that can take Leica, Voightlander, Zeiss, and other premium quality manual focus lenses (Pentax--the legendary Takumar?).

I hope the enthustiastic users of this forum who own and love the GXR M mount wiill reinforce my proposal and that someone with authority at Ricoh is reading this!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow